Updated SPCDIS Use Cases (as of Aug., 2011)
CoMP/HAO Use Cases [Download]
About: Use cases 1-5 were originally developed for CHIP, and adapted for CoMP early in the Summer, 2011. Likewise, use cases 6-7 were developed based on discussions with HAO Staff (in particular, Steve Tomczyk). Use cases 1-5 were adjusted to focus on the retrieval of a high-level provenance trace, which in turn can be annotated with processing details relevant to scientists. This contrasts with a provenance trace that captures *every* detail of the execution. As an example from CoMP, when the main processing script (Demod.pro) is executed, processing activities such as Flat and Dark Correction are applied to corresponding data. Rather than log a detailed trace of Demod.pro, we could instead represent Demod.pro as a "black-box", which can be annotated with processing activities HAO staff see as important.
SPCDIS Use Cases (as of Oct., 2010)
Provenance-based Search of CHIP Data Products
- Use Case 1: Search for CHIP images based on observation/sampling time.
- Use Case 2: Listing of data products generated by an instrument (e.g., the CHIP photometer).
- Use Case 3: Explaining generation of image quality metadata ("Why does this image look bad?")
- Use Case 4: Metadata of processes.
- Use Case 5: Process source metadata.
- Use Case 6: Processing stages metadata.
Searching MLSO Observer Log Entries
- Use Case 1: Reviewing observer comments based on type and observation time.
- Use Case 2: Reviewing observer comments using text-based search of comment contents.
Management of User Annotations on CHIP Data Products
- Use Case 1: A user asks about a problem/event with one image, and gets a reply relating the problem/event to MLSO-generated data products used to generate that image.
- Use Case 2: A user asks about a problem/event with one image, and gets a reply relating the problem/event to MLSO-generated data products used to generate that image, as well as other images.
- Use Case 3: A user requests clarification on the description of a process used in the provenance of an image, and receives an response clarifying the original description. In turn, the clarification becomes applicable to alternate references of that process (i.e. from provenance traces for other data products).
- Use Case 4: A user wishes to filter replies made to a given request, based on facts about the replying users.
- Use Case 5: A user asks about a problem/event with one image, and gets a reply relating the problem/event to an NCAR-generated data product used to generate that image.
Presenting Role-Specific Views of Provenance
- Use Case 1: Selective views of provenance for CHIP data products, based on a user's role.