Semantic eScience Meeting September 21, 2012

Printer-friendly version

Welcome to TitanPad!

General Meeting Information

  • This Titan Pad
  • Meeting
  • Meeting Page
  • Call-in information
    • 1. Please join my meeting.
    • https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/776009689
    • eScience Meeting 2012-09-21, 3PM EDT, Winslow 1140
    • 2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
    • Dial +1 (805) 309-0012
    • Access Code: 776-009-689
    • Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting
    • Meeting ID: 776-009-689

Agenda

  • Stephan will give a ~15min presentation on Ontology documentation
  • Everyone gives short talk about his eScience related project

Attendance

  • Jin
  • Marshall
  • Stephan
  • Linyun
  • Eric
  • Yu (Yanning)
  • Han

Past Action Items

  • All participants to consider when they want to give a 15 mins presentation in the bi-weekyl eScience meetings (~1 per meeting session).

Action Items

  • Yu will present his summer work at next meeting Oct 5th,possibly

Notes

Scriber: Jin

  • Stephan's Presentation: Ontology Documentation
    • Human readable notes (like comments to java codes etc.)
    • tools can be use and process
    • Prov-O Ontology Document as example
    • Almost Everything in Prov-O Document is generated automatically
    • Tool: LODE (http://www.essepuntato.it/lode )
    • MDSA Project Documentation is generated by using LODE (http://escience.rpi.edu/ontology/mdsa/2/0/mdsa.html )
    • Topbraid (pay version and free version)
    • generate documentation like java doc
    • content negotiation (presents human readable document to user)
    • Another tool: http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/owldoc/

eScience Related Project

  • Round-table: what will you be doing or would you like to be doing this semester related to eScience?

Yu Chen

1. DCO--Sensor Semantic Web platform that conforms to the SOS standard, much similar to Linked My Data project at CSIRO http://lmd.it.csiro.au:8086/
2. Remaining work for Continueous Flow Forecast for CSIRO, machine learning stuff.
3. Context Modeling using semantic knowledge along with statistical modeling, with a couple of guys from ECSE

Han

  • DCO
    • Reading materials now. Going to talk to John.
  • SVF (Semantic Vernacular for Fungi)
    • Some work left from summer

Linyun

  • ocean.data.gov and energy.data.gov
  • literature review for geodata portal generation

Jin

  • GCIS Project
    • Design and Develop information model for glocalchange.gov
    • Already had few meetings with Stephan and Marshall and co-workers from USGCRP to discuss ontology modeling, use cases, and prototype
    • Working to catch the Sept. 30th prototype deadline
      • Set up triple stores and loaded instance data for prototype

Eric

  • Working on RDESC project, will be investigating hybrid triplestores / RDF modeling, resource re-publishing, demo building
  • FacetOntology implementation for S2S (alternative to OpenSearch, just annotate data schema/ontology!)
    • [Stephan] what is a hybrid triplestore? SQL + SPARQL

Marshall

  • Projects: GCIS-IMSAP, DCO-DS
  • Research: OGC+JavaScript+W3C, GeoSparql
  • Advise students

Stephan

  • GCIS: Developing semantic metadata representation for the NCA (National Climate Assessment)
  • dcterms:subject project:GCIS
  • key statements from report chapters are associated with images, figures, data tables from papers and which cite datasets
  • Will work on RDESC (described above) with Eric

Patrick

  • VSTO Ontology Review completed and passed on to Peter and Deborah
  • VSTO Ontology 3.0 work with Stephan using O&M and SSN
  • VSTO web portal re-write, web-service updates
  • MetPetDB re-write of web services using Django
  • DCO September release (using Drupal Commons)
  • Infrastructure support

Idea

  • Semantic tagging of meeting notes -- from 'Semantic eScience' Meeting to Semantic 'eScience Meeting'
    • How best to semantically tag the meeting notes during note taking?
    • Tagging projects and other things in notes can make it easy to quickly bring up mentions of semantic entities after the meeting.
    • One option is to train DBPedia Spotlight on our past meetings and the contents of our website knowledge base
    • another option is to "grow our own" tagger