Semantic eScience Meeting February 24, 2012

Printer-friendly version

Welcome to TitanPad!

General Meeting Information

Agenda

  • Scribe (Eric)
  • Past Action Items
  • Updates
  • Versioning
    • would like to wait on this and hopefull include Tim Lebo and Evan Patton in this discussion. Evan brought it up Wednesday, not just ontology versioning, but also instance versioning.

Attendance

  • regrets from Deborah - Traveling this friday and next
  • Patrick
  • Katie
  • Le
  • Amruta - remote
  • Eric
  • Peter
  • Austin
  • Han
  • Linyun
  • Sapan - remote
  • Stephan - remote
  • Thiru

Past Action Items

  • PW: Separate page for discussion topics for escience and provenance
    • one page, "on drupal site" says eric, forum ... ideas
  • SZ,PW: OODT references and resources, assign student to look into, presentation on OODT
    • PW: contact Luca on OODT (and Chris Mattman)

Action Items

  • Austin: Look into OODT for HAO-CI project
  • Thiru: Look into RAMADDA
  • PW: vserver for COMP on leo?
  • Look at the ontology annotations and check how much useful they are

Notes

  • What is OODT?
    • Object Oriented Data Toolkit, developed by JPL, used to develop data processing pipelines
    • data archiving, processing, publication, ...
      • http://oodt.apache.org/
      • Austin will look into OODT for HAO-CI
  • RAMADDA
    • http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ramadda/
    • "RAMADDA is a web-based, comprehensive content repository, publishing platform and collaboration environment for the Earth Sciences."
  • Fourth Paradigm - http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/collaboration/fourthparadigm/

Status

  • Katie - data.rpi.edu
    • getting closer to being able to obtain data from faculty members
    • need to decide protocol for approaching faculty to get data
    • put test server on aquarius (VM or no?)
    • Katie and Alvaro are going to talk about what metadata fields we need in data.rpi.edu to support inclusion of logd discovery metadata in data.rpi.edu and exposure of data.rpi.edu metadata as linked data.
  • Thiru
    • Working on ontology documentation w/ Stephan
    • Working on SeSF discovery to determine how to parse a search query
  • Austin
    • Will be looking into OODT
  • Linyun
    • Review work for VSTO ontology
    • may link work with portal generation
    • related to mspace discussion Eric had, might be a way to link ontology portal generation
    • also working on Drupal themes
  • Han
    • VSTO in S2S
      • materialized Instrument and Parameter hierarchies to improve performance
      • need to rewrite hierarchy widgets to support queries w/o inferencing
    • NESDAA
      • making presentation at next eScience meeting on Driver Pressure State Impact and Response
        • search for "levin ecosystem assessment NOAA"
        • http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/iea/documents/IEA_TM92Final.pdf (this one?)
        • http://coastalscience.noaa.gov/documents/iea_white_paper.pdf
  • Eric - S2S Updates
    • S2S Server 2.1 in alpha
      • Removed dependency on S2S triple store (linked data S2S descriptions enabled)
      • Caching S2S components
      • Caching data requests?
      • Easily installed / deployed (Apache Maven)
      • Unit testing (jUnit)
    • S2S 3.0
      • Object-oriented widgets
      • Configurable search paradigms (hierarchical search, faceted search, mSpace-style search, etc.)
      • mSpace (FacetOntology) adapter
      • Have not received ontology file yet, paper is available at: http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/17054/
  • Stephan
    • Working with Goddard on MDSA
      • Finished rules
    • NEON - need second iteration of use case to nail down concepts/glossary
      • determined step 2 "user selects topic and gets background information" needs to be further analyzed and structured
        • this step could probably be a use-case in its own and will make the most use of our information model / semantic knowledgebase
    • SPCDIS status updates, James M. has IDL scripts running, generate provenance log files, which can be ingested to generate an RDF encoding of provenance
  • Deliverables from some of the VSTO Review priming tasks I worked on
    • http://orion.tw.rpi.edu/~zednik/vsto/
  • Sapan
    • Needs access to draco? and a vserver
  • Amruta
    • working on ontology review process
      • Going through the VSTO ontology
    • Ontology Evaluation
    • writing informal meeting proposal for presenting the GOEF framework
    • Got to talk to Tim regarding implementation of GOEF based on Tim's SADI service
      • Tim has implemented a SADI service as a part of DataFAQ's. It takes input as the context, and some more parameters. We are in the process of checking how the usecase context and the ontology and the evaluation parameter can be given as an input to the SADI service. Tim said that the SADI service can accept a the ontology to be evaluated, the use case and a evaluation parameter (like utility etc) and return with a TRUE or FALSE saying if the ontology can be used for a particular evaluation parameter for the considered use case.
  • Patrick
    • project mgmt for a few weeks
    • weekly sprints for projects (BCO-DMO, VSTO, NESDAA, ...)
    • FERRET is done
    • CEDAR has new DAP format, may want to use netCDF instead of CBF
    • JGOFS code has autotools (make, conf, test), library is almost there, no documentation
    • Cyndy demo'd new mapserver and was very happy
    • Lots done on the website
  • Peter
    • a couple new eScience projects starting up (mostly modest efforts)
      • project with school of Humanitites (Athesma files)
        • Currenlty using Plone for CMS, replace with Ontology-backed Drupal (like TWC site)
      • US Global Change Research Program
        • Use Case Analysis, Information Modeling, Technology Analysis
      • Deep Carbon Observatory Data Science Meeting in Bethesda, MD
        • proposal preliminarily accepted (8-9 years) funded by Sloan Foundation
        • Solidify tools surrounding data science
      • USGS, coastal and marine geography use case development
      • EarthCube, NSF holding telecons/webex for next steps, involved in 3 activities (GeoData 2012, Semantics and Ontology Workshop between now and June, Data and Service Casting -- an RDF approach)
      • Need to formalize a virtual organization/science network; can use information models about people and relationships to construct knowledge networks

Ontology Review

  • Determine initial criteria for review, looking for assessments of documentation
  • 6 tasks, some completed, Deborah has task 6 to look at hierarchies/naming conventions
  • how to improve documentation? what docmentation was missed?
  • Look at the ontology annotations and check how much useful they are
  • Presentations usually don't have enough text, conference papers don't go into enough depth

The Mythical Man-Month

  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
  • http://opac.lib.rpi.edu/search/i?SEARCH=0201006502&sortdropdown=-&searchscope=1