Semantic eScience Meeting January 13, 2012

Printer-friendly version

FRIDAY THE 13th (my lucky day)

General Meeting Information

Agenda

  • AGU feedback, ESIP feedback
  • data.rpi.edu
  • SeSF working groups
    • S2S everywhere
    • Discovery
    • Non-specialist (NEON)
  • BCO-DMO testbed
  • VSTO next version
  • Provenance integration (SZ)
  • Data integration/ OPeNDAP (Patrick)
  • Portal integration (various)
  • Ontology evaluation (Joanne)

Attendance

  • Peter
  • Amruta
  • Katie (on TitanPad and listening in on GotoMeeting, no mic though.)
  • Patrick
  • Le (remote)
  • Linyun
  • Stephan (remote)
  • Deborah
  • Joanne

Past Action Items

Action Items

  • PW: schedule SeSF kickoff meeting for Spring Semester (TICKET)
  • PW: schedule BCO-DMO kickoff meeting for Spring Semester (DONE)
  • PW: schedule NESDAA kickoff meeting for Spring Semester (TICKET)
  • PW: SeSF working groups, mark as priorities (color code), status to priority (TICKET)
  • SZ: Provenance Integration Working Group in SeSF (TICKET)
  • PW: Next escience meeting give out the NEON use case (http://tw.rpi.edu/media/latest/NESDAA-UseCase-HumanImpactsOnStreamEcology.doc)
  • PW: NESDAA images from last meeting on project pages (TICKET)
    • architecture
  • KD: schedule data.rpi.edu meeting (DONE)
  • PF collect and vet EGU abstract ideas/ prepare submissions/ submit (DONE)

Notes

  • AGU feedback, ESIP feedback
    • Stephan: a lot of feedback on data quality
    • GEO label discussion at ESIP
      • ? perhaps GEO label is doing what zednik et al already did (which is completely wrong of course).

is there a link for GEO label?

      • looks like there is a questionnaire at http://geolabel.questionpro.com/
      • stub website (no content) at http://geolabel.org/
      • DOC on their plans at http://www.geo-tasks.org/st0902/a22/STCGEOlabel.doc
    • Deborah presentation at HICS (Health Related) and showed the Quality Label, got some interest
    • Deborah got a lot of feedback on the water quality portal

- good connections with USGS - in particular Sky and Nate Booth - Sky may follow up with

    • Eric talked with Alex Bed? (student from tufts), they are doing something similar to faceted search, wants to try and sync our efforts with them
    • faceted search from Oak Ridge? and Bob Cook
    • Data Net group doing something like faceted search (Oak Ridge), based on Mercury. Mercury is a metadata faceted search, relational database, added terms to a row to represent ontology terms
      • Deborah says we should get a post doc on this work, data net and faceted search through Deborah's work co-leading the semantics and interoperability working group of DataOne
  • Line Pouchard and and Giri P... as well as coPI Bob Cook are interested in this approach - ie., more semantics
    • Eric discussed integrated ocean drilling program (IODP) S2S faceted browser dev. with Doug Fils (progressing well)

  • ESIP Feedback (Earth Science information Partners)
    • Wednesday morning demonstration session on semantic web, turned in to 1-2 page abstracts, mini papers.
      • Be worth our group looking into these papers and demos
      • Eric and Tom Narock did a good demonstration on their AGU abstracts work
    • received a proposal from Line Pouchard, a ESIP branded version of BioPortal, repository for ontologies
    • Chris Lynnes wants to build an ontology to link tools to datasets (comes out of a proposal to nasa between fox and lynnes (from Nasa Goddard) on
      • remote sensing tool broker
    • Eric pushing RDF capable discovery mechanisms as opposed to OpenSearch/XML discovery representations
      • proposal on Semantics for data and service casting (to nsf earthcube)
  • data.rpi.edu
    • KD is working on application for IRB approval to do interviews of a few RPI NSF grant applicants about their data management practices and needs (based on Data Curation Profiles Toolkit: http://www4.lib.purdue.edu/dcp/ - interview and writeup protocol, based on a single dataset of a single researcher).
    • Bob Mayo (library director) told KD that something to do with planning/implementing an "e-science repository" is going to make it into the FY '13 (Runs from July 2012 to June 2013) DotCIO performance plan. (No specific details yet, but this does indicate general interest in pursuing this kind of thing within DotCIO in the near future.)
      • re: Joanne's question: I (KD) hope that means that there will be a more integrated approach to providing researchers help for data management, including make sure people know that help is available.
      • Should talk about what the connections might be between this performance plan item and data.rpi.edu at the first data.rpi.edu meeting of the semester (invite Bob and Pat from library, Deborah, Alvaro Graves). KD will set up the meeting soon (hopefully for next week).
        • meeting should also include thinking about what to accomplish before July 1, copy the tw-escience list on that meeting - other people may want to go.
    • Peter has requested a listserv - dataservices-l, needs to check to see if it's fallen into a black hole.
    • KD is hoping that the data group will have some good advice for the DotCIO group, and maybe even be able to collaborate?
    • Peter: make logd holdings visible through data.rpi.edu. Alvaro Graves assigned by Jim Hendler to take on this task
      • not storing logd data in dspace, but making metadata visible. also make data.rpi.edu metadata available as linked data (?)
      • deadline July 1, 2012 for additional functionality.
  • SeSF working groups - current page http://tw.rpi.edu/web/project/SeSF/workinggroups
    • By the next meeting, everyone should be clear which groups s/he is working on
    • S2S everywhere
      • Lots of browsers: BCO-DMO, VSTO, IOGDS, OrgPedia, IODP, AGU Abstracts, DataOne, TWC website content types, Canadian Hydrology Portal (Boyan Broderick), MetPetDB, NEON? (publications, events, need developers [read: undergrads]) we need a list of these browsers
      • S2S Server re-implementation in the works: based on Tomcat, has dependency management (Maven), better error handling and logging, and (maybe) jUnit testing (GO TDD!... I said maybe :-))
      • "Linked data facets" in the works (interchangeable facets based on linked data/vocabularies)
    • Discovery
      • see 2nd year NSF report
      • See WG pages
      • Need to incorporate Noesis 2.0 (through ESIP discovery standards)
    • Non-specialist (NEON)
      • target for NEON - by AGU, brief Brian Wee and on component evaluation and use case status.
      • First use case is finished (there are some others to look at)

is there a link for this? (i am looking at http://tw.rpi.edu/web/project/SeSF/workinggroups/NonSpecialist/NEON

http://tw.rpi.edu/web/project/NESDAA/Use_Cases

    • Ontology Evaluation
      • See working group page: http://tw.rpi.edu/web/project/SeSF/workinggroups/OntologyEvaluation
      • Submitted a proposal to NSF for Ontology In Use working on this proposal advanced the work on SESF Ontology Evaluation Working group, specifically in working through the technical details of implemenation. Worked on System Architecture, User Interface and an explaination component utilizing provenance. This work lead to the realization that the Use Case must be submitted with an ontology and that the use case methodology itself needs to be formalized.
      • Submitted the workshop proposal on "Ontology Evaluation" for the ICBO conference to be held in July
      • Ontology Summit (held at NIST) will have a session (maybe a track - currently in early orgizination stage) on Ontology Evaluation in use
      • Currently working on submitting a conference paper proposal on "GEOF Ontology Evaluation" (Due 31st Jan.) and the abstract submission for software demonstration (Due April 15th) for the ICBO conference.
    • Component Architecture
      • Developments falling out of MDSA design & implementation
      • Spring support for Semantic Web technologies
        • Example of Spring-based Jena ModelFactoryBean https://scm.escience.rpi.edu/svn/private/projects/MDSA/regionQuery/trunk/src/main/java/edu/rpi/tw/sesf/data/rdf/jena/ext/spring/ModelFactoryBean.java
        • Contacted Franz about Spring components for allegrograph client
          • Started building a ModelFactoryBean for allegrograph
  • BCO-DMO testbed (1.0 scheduled) meeting Tuesday 17th
    • Tobias Work and Eric made big progress on Drupal 7 RDF export capabilities
    • We need mappers! (map BCO-DMO content types and fields to BCO-DMO ontology terms)
  • VSTO next version (3.0 needs to be completed, includes COMP, CSAC)
    • Need to update (and likely clean up) temporal metadata generator (based on C++ CEDAR libraries)
  • Provenance Integration (needs to have a working group formed on the sesf working group page)
    • quality
    • bias
    • ingest (data pipeline) - SPCDIS
  • OpenDAP - S-DAP (Semantic Data Access Protocol)
    • Patrick leads
  • EGU Abstract Status?
    • Due Wednesday January 18th
    • Earth and Space Science Informatics