Our thanks to all the participants, judges, helpers and especially Elsevier
who made #TWCHack11 a great success!
You can find an album of photos from the event at Elsevier's TWCHack11 Facebook page.
The contest will encompass building apps utilizing the SciVerse API and other resources in multiple categories, including Health and Life Sciences
classes. Overall, there will be three winners:
UPDATE! Congratulations to our winners!
- First place ($1500): Jim McCusker (RPI) Genomic Data Browser
- Second place (tie)($1000) Nick Benik and Deon Robinson
A distinguished panel of judges has assembled that includes domain experts, faculty and senior representatives from Elsevier: Bios to follow soon!
- Paolo Ciccarese (Scientist and Senior Software Engineer, Mass General Hospital; Faculty, Harvard Medical School)
- Chris Baker (Research Chair, Innovatia, Canada)
- Bob Powers (Semantics Engineer, Consultant at Predictive Medicine, Inc.)
- M. Scott Marshall (Department of Medical Statistics and Bioinformatics, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands)
- Ora Lassila (Principal Technologist, Nokia; co-author of the W3C RDF specification)
- Elizabeth Brooks (Head of Computing & IT, UHI, Scotland)
- Hajo Oltmanns (Elsevier: SVP Health Sciences Strategy)
- Scott Virkler (Elsevier: SVP e-Products Global Medical Research)
- Helen Moran (Elsevier: VP Smart Content Strategy)
Hackathon schedule and agenda (http://tw.rpi.edu/web/event/TWCElsevierHackathonJune2011/Program).
Lunch, dinner, and midnight snack provided on 27 June and breakfast and lunch on 28 June.
A small amount of travel assistance will be made available for students and non-profits on a competitive basis. Please see our Travel Assistance or contact us for further details.
Travel and Lodging Information
See the Elsevier/Tetherless World Health and Life Sciences Hackathon web site for specific information about transportation and lodging near the venue. Please note that the Hackathon runs for 24 hours, so it is unlikely that participants will want lodging on the night of 27 June...
TWC Hackathon Coordinator: John Erickson email@example.com
TWC Administrator: Jacky Carly firstname.lastname@example.org
A downloadable (PDF) version of this announcement is available here: twc_hackathon_brochure_2 [Download]
Follow us on Twitter!
The hash for this event is #TWCHack11
TWCHack11 Group Photo for front page [Download]
TWCHack11 Dominic Photo for front page [Download]
TWCHack11 Hacker Photo for front page [Download]
Special thanks to Elsevier for providing travel and accommodation for sponsors.
Special thanks to Jacky Carley and Patrick West for local arrangements and logistics.