Home > tetherless world > Geoscience in the Web era – a few facets

Geoscience in the Web era – a few facets

July 30th, 2014

In middle July 2014 I attended the DCO summer school at Big Sky Resort, MT, with a 2-day field trip at Yellowstone National Park (YNP) – a nice experience – the venue is wonderful, and also the topics covered by the curriculum. But what impressed me the most is to see how the Web brings changes to geoscience works as well as geoscientists.

We have three excellent field trip guides, Lisa Morgan, Pat Shanks and Bill Inskeep. They prepared and distributed a 82-page YNP field trip guide! Of course they first shared it online through Dropbox. What also impressed me is that when I showed my golden spike information portal to Lisa, she also showed me a few APPs on her iPhone with state geologic map services – useful gadget for field work. But our field trip experience in YNP showed that a paper map is still necessary as it is bigger and provides a overview of a wider area, and it needs no battery.

The YNP itself has a virtual observatory website called Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, hosted by USGS and University of Utah. The portal provides “timely monitoring and hazard assessment of volcanic, hydrothermal, and earthquake activity in the Yellowstone Plateau region.” Featured information includes publications, online mapping services, and also images, videos and webcams about YNP.

I was happy to see that Katie Pratt and I are accompanied by many other summer school participants when we were tweeting on Twitter. Search the hashtag #DCOSS14 you will find how active the participants were on Twitter during the period of the summer school. I was even a little surprise to see that Donato Giovannelli ‏@d_giovannelli helped answer a question about twitter impact on citation by pasting the link to a paper, a few seconds after I gave a short introduction to the Altmetric.com and its use in Nature Publishing Group, Springer and Wiley.

And my role at the summer school was two-fold: participant and lecturer. I gave a presentation titled ‘Why data science matters and what we can do with it‘, in which I addressed four sub-topics: data management and publication, interoperability of data, provenance of research, and era of Science 2.0. The slides are accessible on Slidershare [link].

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 10.0/10 (1 vote cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
Geoscience in the Web era - a few facets, 10.0 out of 10 based on 1 rating
Author: Categories: tetherless world Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.