Home > Data Science, linked data, tetherless world, Web Science > FAKE open access publications in now days and my suggestion

FAKE open access publications in now days and my suggestion

September 24th, 2013

Open Access in now days is such a *FAKE* idea. It is the author’s paper, not the publisher’s. Currently what a reader pays is for the typesetting according to the format of a publisher. A author can make his own manuscript (not the pdf from the publisher) anywhere online for access. Now a author pays hundreds to a publisher for Open Access to his paper. I URGE, publishers should provide a *FREE* function that allows a author registers a link to his author-made version of a paper on the landing page of the DOI of a published paper. This is the *TRUE* Open Access. What most readers need is the meaning of a paper, not the typesetting. If one do cares the typesetting, he can pay a subscription to get the publisher’s version. University or institutional libraries should build facilities and functionalities that support employees to register and upload author-made versions of publications – to improve the visibility and accessibility of the academic work of the institution itself.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
  1. DDevine
    September 24th, 2013 at 23:19 | #1

While I agree with your sentiment, the role of the publisher is also reviewing the paper to make sure it is up to the standard expected by the readership.

Anybody can publish their own content on the internet and advertise it through relevant social circles… Publishing their work themselves *outside* of the paper format also allows for better semantic representation (and RDF access to their data!).

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    VA:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
  2. Xiaogang Ma
    September 25th, 2013 at 16:44 | #2

I agree the publisher’s working mode (i.e., through peer-review) help improve the quality of published paper. But, reviewing it is the reviewers’ role, not the publishers’. And, almost all reviewers obtain no payments from publishers. This is a long-term argument and I do not want to extend discussion on it because it is not the key point of my post.

My post is more centered on the author side and I just want to argue for a small step — Publishers can establish a functionality that allows links to author-made version of a paper on the landing page of the DOI of a paper). I just feel it is really weird for an author to pay hundreds of dollars to make his publisher-version paper OPEN ACCESS on the publisher’s site.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
    VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
  1. No trackbacks yet.